Thursday, July 16, 2015

NFLX and GOOGL

HOLY Smokes. What can I say... NFLX and GOOGL made a move today with NFLX making a move post-market yesterday on 15JUL15 and rallying today after a minor dip this morning.

I had 30 contracts total on NFLX; 20 contracts 18SEP15 @ 115 and 10 contracts 18DEC15 @ 120. The market makers and others shook the stops this morning and I thought the direction was going down so I sold... Too early!

I made out with about $4000 but had I held out I would of gained another $10-15k. My hunch about NFLX was bullish, the volume said bullish, and all day the news ran for NFLX was bullish. Analysts probably upgraded the stock and raised the price target and the joker Cramer even felt elated by the earnings. At one point I was considering selling options at 115 to cover the dip...

The mistake I made today was sitting out on the action. I knew the moment I sold that I made a mistake and I sold twice! Instead of getting back into it as usual I went and moped all day missing out on MANY opportunities to double or triple my returns. Volume speaks volumes and I knew the underlying was going up no matter what...

Sometimes we are too short sighted and hate being wrong that the mistakes clouds our judgement and stops us from getting back into it. There is nothing with people wrong or acting incorrectly. The most important thing is to get back into the positive mindset to push forward.

Between last week and this week I've made more money than I've ever made in a month in the military. Total potential gains that I let slip away total to more than my account value right now. To say that the opportunity isn't there is simply not true. It's what you make of the current opportunities that is in front of you that makes all the difference.

Keep learning, making small and infrequent mistakes, and keep trading. The more I looked at investing from a fundamental standpoint the more useless I think it is for most investors. It's easy to 'invest' if you are a billionaire that can get shares 20-30% below market value, sit on it for a while, collect dividends, and then sell it for a 100% ROI. For rest of us, we have no other choice but to swing trade either stocks or options.

There is nothing wrong with being a fundamental investors as those strategies are crucial for those wishing to invest in LEAP options or other leveraged instruments. Determine your investment goals and strategies then execute them with a clear mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment